Friday, July 26, 2013

Real Food Friday Feast - Fresh Pea Soup

My wife is a pea nut... When I say that, I mean she is literally nuts about peas! I've never been much of a fan and even less of one since I can never find organic peas. The only options are frozen peas and, as much as they say they are "fresh from the garden" I sincerely doubt it.

GLM has been asking me for pea soup for MONTHS. Because I haven't been able to find peas I have been mumbling excuses about why I haven't been making pea soup all the while desperately seeking peas! Then one day, she threatened to buy Woolies pre-made pea soup to get it out of her system. She'll do it too. I'm the fussy one, not her. It doesn't phase her to eat something that is full of chemicals and designed for flavour instead of health. Well, I couldn't have that, could I?!

As luck would have it, when I arrived at the organic market yesterday, what should I find but bags of shelled peas! Paydirt! Now all I had to do was figure out how to make pea soup...

Firstly, as I tend to do, I had to know if peas were going to be a healthy, nutrient-dense meal for us and what I could expect from my pot of pea soup so I hunted down some info.

Peas are good for:
  • Weight Management: A cup of peas has less than 100 calories but is chock full of protein, fibre and micronutrients which make them a filling, low calorie meal. You can actually buy a vegan protein powder that is made from peas, proving how high in protein they are.
  • Stomach cancer prevention: Peas contain high amounts of a polyphenol called coumestrol. According to studies, you only need 2 milligrams of coumestrol per day to prevent stomach cancer. A cup of peas has at least 10!
  • Anti-aging, strong immune system, and high energy: Peas pack a power punch full of anti-oxidants which aid all of these. (Alliteration intended;)
  • Prevention of wrinkles, alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, bronchitis, osteoporosis and candida: This is due to peas strong anti-inflammatory properties. Peas have also been linked to preventing cancer.
  • Blood sugar regulation: The high fibre and protein content slows down the digesting of sugars which prevents a sugar high. The anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties prevent and reverse insulin resistance and therefore, type 2 diabetes.
  • Heart disease prevention: As a powerful antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory, peas support healthy blood vessels preventing the formation of plaque which is caused by inflammation. Peas are full of most of the B vitamins and these reduce homocysteine levels which are big risk factor for heart disease.
  • The environment: Peas work with bacteria in the soil to ‘fix’ nitrogen from the air and deposit it in the soil reducing the need for artificial fertilizers (one of their main ingredients is nitrogen) Peas also need very little moisture to grow so they are a perfect crop for dry areas.
  • Digestion: The high fibre content in peas improves bowel health and peristalsis. 
  • Healthy bones: One cup of peas contains 44% of your Vitamin K daily requirements. Vitamin K helps to anchor calcium inside the bones thereby preventing osteoporosis. The high vitamin B content also helps. Be sure to eat your peas with fat to ensure good absorption of nutrients.
So! It looks like GLM will be getting weekly doses of peas from now on;) If I can find more that is! I could only find 2 small bags which amounted to about 2 and a half cups so I added a sweet potato to thicken it and it really made it taste GOOD. This is a small pot of soup due to the small amount of peas but you are welcome to double it. I intend to next time I find more peas!

Fresh Pea Soup

1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 medium leek, well rinsed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 litre bone broth
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups shelled fresh peas
1 sweet potato
1 Tbs fresh mint leaves
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Melt the butter in a medium size pot on medium heat
  • Add the leek, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and a pinch of pepper and cook until softened (about 3 minutes)
  • Add the bone broth, the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper and bring to a boil
  • Wash, peel and chop the sweet potato, add to pot and bring to boil
  • Reduce heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes
  • Add the peas and bring to a boil again
  • Reduce heat and simmer until the peas and sweet potato are tender
  • Remove pot from the heat and add the mint leaves, stirring them in
  •  Let soup sit uncovered for about 10 minutes to let the mint flavour meld with the soup
  • Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth
  • Transfer the soup to a serving dish and stir in the lemon juice 
  • Taste and season with more salt, pepper, and lemon juice if necessary but I found it was perfect just as it was.
This is, quite honestly, the most delicious soup I have ever tasted. I can't believe I ever dragged my feet about pea soup! I know, you look at the picture and think, "What's the big deal?" Let me tell you, it's all in the flavour. It's just yummy and I highly recommend it. It's one way you'll get your kids to eat their greens;)

Have fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment