Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday Mix up

So, in case you haven't guessed from the title, Monday's are now officially Monday Mix up:) That means anything goes! I thought, since there have been a lot of new subscriptions since I started this blog, that I'd do my own little mix up of the posts that I feel are the most important reads in this blog. I know that, when I find a new blog, I often tend to just start reading from where I joined, but that means you miss out on loads of other interesting and important stuff.

As of today, my blog has had JUST shy of 5000 blog views after having it up for just over 3 months. To me, that is cause for celebration but it's also a good time for reflection and looking back over what I'VE learnt, because I've learnt a lot just from writing this blog.

So! Here are the highlights (in my opinion) from the last 3 months:)

Talking Food

You really are what you eat

Excerpt: "The saying, "You are what you eat" is completely true. Everything that you eat gets used to build the body you have. Your body is constantly regenerating itself and it uses WHATEVER you give it, to regenerate itself. It won't be able to differentiate between an organic apple and a packet of crisps. Your digestive system will break it all down and send it out to be used to build more cells. You can imagine that the apple will provide some stellar fuel for your system, but the crisps? Not so much."
Go on, eat that fatExcerpt: "Saturated fat is NOT bad for you. In fact, it's ESSENTIAL for you. If you don't believe me, there is a lot of science behind it and if you are interested in the science, here is a great video that will give you all the stats. It's long and very thorough. There is a BUT... Unless you eat free range or organic saturated fat, you are not going to benefit from eating it. In fact, if you choose not to eat free range, it CAN be harmful. The reason why is because, animals that AREN'T allowed to range free and eat their natural food, are, quite literally, sick."

The benefits of raw apple cider vinegar

Excerpt: "Vinegar has, for centuries, been touted as a remedy for just about every existing ailment. But it's apple cider vinegar that has, more recently, been singled out as a health tonic. You'll find it in all health stores and Dischems these days. The big pharmaceutical companies would, of course, have us believe that regular medication is far better than alternative remedies. It always is, for them, because they have absolutely nothing to gain, finanicially, from alternative and preventative remedies. However, even they can't discount the following studies proving the medical uses of apple cider vinegar..."
Excerpt: "Herbs are nothing new under the sun. Long before there was synthetic medication, people were using herbs to cure various ailments. They were used for centuries, in their natural form. These days you find a lot of those herbs, in synthetic form, in medications, beauty products and household cleaners. Companies have tried to harness the healing power of herbs, in a form that can make them some money. My question is, why would you buy the synthetic version for R100 or more, when you can buy a box of the actual herb for about R20, that lasts you several months and is far better for you, and that works? I'm not an expert, as I've said, but I have had great success with my herbal teas over the years and I'd like to share what I've learnt, with you."
Excerpt: "So how DOES drinking skim milk make people fatter? Well, milk, without the fat, is just milk sugar (lactose). That means, when you drink your "healthy" glass of skim milk, you are actually just drinking a sugary drink and we know what sugar does to us... it makes us fat! Another reason is that, when you reduce the saturated fat in a person’s diet, they start eating carbs (grains and sugars primarily) to fill the gap. It's these grains and sugars that actually make you fat, not saturated fat. I've mentioned it before on this blog; since I started eating saturated fat, I have LOST body fat. It is much easier to control my eating because I no longer have cravings for sugar. I feel satiated when I eat. That is thanks to eating saturated fat. I am not unique. The rule applies to all of us. If you drink skim milk, you will be missing out on the satiating, blood sugar and insulin steadying affects of saturated fat. That skim milk will actually make your body automatically crave sugar and carbs (grains) to make up for the lack of them. "

Organic: a marketing ploy or the real deal

Excerpt: "A few years back, when I first started seeing the word "organic" on food products, I brushed it aside as something that belonged to lifestyles of the rich and famous, or else hippie type folk who live out in the bundus, in a cloud... of something;) I was completely wrong. The word “organic” actually refers to the way agricultural products are grown and produced. It legally details the permitted use (or not) of certain ingredients in these foods and it is NO easy certification to get, I can tell you that."

Grains: the nitty gritty part one 

(I'm not going to post part 2 here but do yourself a favour and read it!)

Excerpt: "A childhood filled with endless slices of bread left me, eventually, with a grain intolerance that continues to this day. Most people think that food intolerances just happen. That is not usually the case though. They build up over time, after repeated exposure to the offending food and then, suddenly, your body says ENOUGH and it let's you know in the form of skin infections and a permanently unsettled stomach and sometimes worse. These days, more and more kids are developing allergies and intolerances to grains. It seems strange, doesn't it? It's not really though, if you understand a bit about grains."

Take everything with a pinch of salt

Excerpt: "Interestingly enough, it seems that diets with insufficient amounts of sodium are actually to blame for high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke. Another study performed at Harvard University showed that the participants developed insulin resistance in just 7 days when they were put on a salt restricted diet. There is a strong likelihood of developing Type 2 Diabetes if you suffer from insulin resistance. Furthermore, if Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics continue to follow a low-salt diet, they shorten their lifespan considerably."
Excerpt: "Raw honey is a power food of note and something, I reckon, that every person should have in their kitchen. Most people see honey as a sweetener and it's true, it is definitely nature's best when it comes to sweeteners, but most people don't realise the true healing properties of honey."
Excerpt: "I highly recommend spices to cure just about every ailment. The first time I was sick this year, I stuck to homeopathy and herbs. They worked, but quite slowly. I got over the worst of it in about 3 days, but I didn't heal properly for about 3 weeks with a lingering cough and sinus issue. This time around I combined herbs with spices and boy did that work well! I have never recovered so quickly from an illness. Now I KNOW what to do in future. As soon as it starts I am heading to the spice draw!"

Why children should eat a real food diet from the start

Excerpt: "It's no wonder that kids refuse to eat their veggies. If they get special meals laden with artificial flavours, from a young age, they will always expect special meals with artificial flavours. They consider chicken and veggies to be an adult, and therefore boring, type of food and call it "gross". Of course it will seem gross if they are used to corn syrup and preservatives! My own belief is that parents make too big a deal about "eating your greens". The minute you give it a name, it becomes a big deal. If you feed them real food from the beginning and don't differentiate they won't know the difference. Yes, there may be things they don't like, but supplementing with processed food isn't doing them, or you, any favours. Work your way through your real food options instead. If that's their only option, they won't know to ask for anything else."

Talking Health

Can you fight The Flu, naturally

Excerpt: "I'm not sure if many people are aware of this, but a fever is actually a good thing. It''s the body's natural way of fighting a bacterial infection. Breaking the fever can actually do more harm than good to you. (unless it goes above 41 degrees then get to a doctor). Anything below 41, but above 37 is very uncomfortable, but good for you, nonetheless. Bugs can survive for a long time in a body with a normal temperature, but not for so long in a body with a raised temperature. The fact that your temperature is raised, means that your immune system is doing what it is meant to do, to fight off the bug. If you can see it through, you stand a much better chance of getting better, sooner. The same applies when you have an inflamed muscle, or a cut that gets really hot and infected. The heat and swelling are good things! Taking a pill, or putting antiseptic cream on, halts the natural healing process. I've never had the guts to try this, largely because I never KNEW about the above, but also because I hate having a temperature! This time around I was determined to do it. I was in serious pain. My head was unbelievably sore, not to mention the glands, the aches everywhere, the chills. I was miserable. I hardly slept while my body did battle. By Sunday afternoon I was nearing the end of my tether when, all of a sudden, the fever broke all on its own! I started sweating and it was the most welcome feeling ever!"

Why cholesterol is actually good for you

Excerpt: "I often get asked what causes high cholesterol and high sugar and what can be done about it. Believe it or not, the two of them are actually connected in a way and, if you fix one, chances are good you're going to fix the other. Out of the two of them, the only one you really should be concerned about, is the suger. The reality is that cholesterol itself, is NOT bad for you. In fact, your body needs it in order to function normally."
Excerpt: "I've lost count of how many times I've heard people around me talk about their aching joints or their gradual weight gain in the last few years or their lack of energy and their loss of muscle and the comments are always followed by a sigh and the phrase, "I'm getting old I guess. It had to happen sometime." Have you noticed how some of those people actually seem to feel almost happy that they can blame all of those afflictions on the fact that they are getting old? They always say it with a smile! I guess it probably makes things easier to have a scapegoat. Honestly, I think, the phrase, "I'm getting old," is a bit of a copout. It moves any possible blame off of your shoulders, and onto Father Time's."

Why even exercise

(There is a whole series of blogs on exercise starting here, so I encourage you to go and check them out if you are unsure about how to exercise)

Excerpt: "You only get one body. If you are going to spend your entire life trying to make it thinner, it is going to be a very sad life for you, and probably a much shorter one than you had hoped. A far more productive path to follow is the pursuit of health. The beauty of doing that is that everything takes care of itself without you having to stress about it. If you eat organic, free-range, chemical-free, REAL food, your body will be getting all the nutrients it needs and none of the rubbish it doesn't need. By default, you will lose excess body fat. If you exercise on a regular basis, your body will react even MORE positively by running at its peak performance. Everything will be operating the way it should and you will burn fat while you are sitting at your desk. It's a win/win really."
Excerpt: "You only have to look around you when you're at a restaurant to know that people eat far too much. They're also eating far too much of the wrong stuff. Most people who eat out will have a starter, mains and dessert. Mains will come with a range of starches and a huge piece of meat of some kind. Dessert will also be loaded with sugar and a gazillion calories because health isn't top of the list in most restaurants. In that ONE meal, most people have exceeded their daily calorie requirements! It's no wonder people are getting bigger. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. You just need to work out what your body needs on a daily basis, and eat a little less than that, and you WILL lose weight. How do you work it out? Here is a handy calculator, because the formula is complicated! Once you know what your BMR is, you need to also take into account how active you are."
Excerpt: "There is no ONE cure for colds and flu. I've lost count of how many times I've been told, "Take lots of Vitamin C!" Here's the thing folks, once you are sick, you are sick. Vitamin C won't cure you. Taking it as a daily supplement might help boost your immune system BUT, if you are not a healthy person, it probably won't and I'll explain why, in a bit. Did you know that your body only needs about 90mg of vitamin c a day? It can't actually absorb a lot at a time so, you may think you are helping things, but all you are doing is peeing out the excess vitamins that your body can't use, wasting money, and putting undue pressure on your kidneys."

Understanding Type 2 Diabetes, insulin and blood sugar

Excerpt: "A person with Type 2 Diabetes has one of two problems, and sometimes they are affected by both. Firstly, they are not producing enough insulin and secondly, their insulin is not working properly. This is known as insulin resistance. Type 2 is directly the result of bodyweight, fitness and lifestyle. Most sufferers have been overweight, unfit and eating badly for some time and the constant trauma to the body as it tries to adjust, leads to insulin resistance, and Type 2 Diabetes. It would make sense, then, that Type 2 Diabetes is both preventable and reversible. But how does being overweight, unfit and unhealthy actually cause Type 2 Diabetes and what does insulin resistance actually mean?"
Excerpt: "I'll tell you a secret... I don't believe in going to dentists or dental hygienists. I used to think it was a necessary part of life but, in my quest for knowledge about health and nutrition, I have come to realise that, like any other part of your body, if you look after it the way it should be looked after, not only will it will be with you for a long, long time, but it won't need tune ups now and then either! You don't need to go for regular stomach tune ups do you? Well, why should your teeth be any different? Some of you are saying, "Well, it's best to avoid a tooth problem by going for regular check ups, isn't it?" Again I'll say, do you do the same with your stomach?"
Excerpt: "Have you ever thought about what happens to the body lotion you rub on your hands, or your face? I mean, REALLY wondered? I'm sure you know it gets absorbed by your skin, but then what? Well, it doesn't just disappear. Once it's been absorbed by your skin, it becomes part of the system. It goes into your blood stream and, eventually, finds its way to your organs and body tissues, the way everything else we ingest does, and your body either uses it, or loses it. You may be thinking, "Did she say ingest? We don't EAT the stuff, we just lather it on our skin." Well, that brings me back to my first question. Have you ever REALLY thought about what happens to it all?"
Excerpt: "If you were thinking that your beauty products are doing wonders for your skin, think again. The beauty industry, unlike the food industry, is completely unregulated. Just because a product says it's organic and natural, doesn't actually mean it is. There are no regulations and no certifications like there are for farmers which I find truly bizarre. Putting creams on your skin is exactly the same as ingesting them because they are absorbed into your blood stream and work their way through your system the same way food does. There is great potential to do serious damage, and they do."

Talking Chemicals

How handy is your andy really

Excerpt: "The kitchen cupboard under most people's sinks is full of dangerous toxins. Yet we keep them within arm's reach of any child or adult, in the same space that we store and cook our food! It suddenly dawned on me one day that I didn't want things in my house that were hazardous, not only to OUR health, but to our future children's health. You hear so many horror stories of kids going into the cupboards and drinking laundry liquid, or staysoft and having to be rushed to hospital to have their stomachs pumped. What if they picked up rat poison or weed killer? Some people actually keep those in their kitchen cupboards too!"
Excerpt: "You've all heard about fluoride, I'm sure? If I asked you what it was for, you'd probably tell me it's good for teeth. How do you know that though? Based on the fact that it's in your toothpaste? Something your dentist said? What if I told you that fluoride is such a toxic substance that it can only be handled with protective gloves and clothing? Would you think it's nonsense? Hype? It must be good for us if it's been approved for drinking water in numerous countries? The same as processed foods are good for us? The same as toxic substances in our beauty products are good for us?"

Excerpt: "Ok, so to recap, you need THREE products to clean your house and living area. (if you have a dishwasher, 2 if you don't) Triple Orange, Earthsap Machine and Handwash Laundry Powder and Better Earth Dishwashing gel. Total cost of all 3 is R276 and, as I said, the Triple Orange will last you for 3 months, the laundry powder for 2 months and the dishwasher gel about 5-6 months. That is not a lot when you divide it up."
Excerpt: "In NO way, shape or form does having these things in your house, office or car create "fresh air". In fact, the air couldn't be any less fresh THANKS to those chemicals. Believe me, it was cleaner before! Yet people are seduced into filling as many rooms as possible with these fresheners which circulate chemical, toxic scents throughout the house. Consumers are further duped into installing fresheners in their cars. Because of loopholes in the chemical perfume industry, companies aren't even required to list the ingredients of anything labeled as "fragrance." We breathe them in daily, every minute, even while we sleep at night and the damage is beyond anything you can imagine."
Talking Environment
Excerpt: "I know it can be quite daunting making a decision to live green, organic and chemical free. I am sure a lot of you have read these blog posts and been a bit overwhelmed by just how much is actually toxic in our environment, and how much we have to do if we want to keep it, and ourselves, clean and toxin free! I agree. It IS overwhelming. You might be tempted to just leave things as they are and I wouldn't blame you! When I first made the decision to make our household clean and green, I had no idea what I was taking on. Poor GLM had no idea either. She mostly still doesn't;) I often get questions about what goes where and why and how! But she does it good naturedly because she knows it's good for us and she knows it makes her wife happy;)"

Excerpt: "I also haven't actually drunk plain tap water for a long time. The reason is simply because, as clean as Rand Water say their water is, I still don't consider it clean enough. If you go to their website you can download a PDF file of a water analysis in your area. It's very thorough. They give you everything from chemical properties to microbiological elements. It's a little alarming what you actually find in tap water. It may be in small amounts but, considering how much we use the stuff, be it to drink, or to cook with or to bath or shower in, you want it to be as clean as possible!"
Excerpt: "I can't really give advice on HOW to quit smoking. There are so many WHYS. But I don't think focusing on THEIR health as a smoker is what is going to give them pause to reflect. I've heard so many justifications and excuses as to why someone isn't quitting YET and the reality is that a smoker doesn't actually want to quit. They aren't concerned for their health and telling them that it's bad for their bodies won't make a difference. They are in complete denial about what it's doing to them and, because they don't value their bodies, (how can you if you willingly abuse it) telling them it's not good for them will wash off them like water off a duck's back. But, while smokers may have little regard for their own bodies, they DO tend to have plenty regard for the bodies of those they love. So this is what smoking does to those you love.

Remember, these are just MY highlights. I had to leave out many just from a space point of view but honestly, I think that there is something relevant in each blog post and it may be specifically relevant to you so please feel free to click on the archives and go and check them out.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment