Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wellness Wednesday - Mood food

We're in a bad mood epidemic. Depression and anxiety have tripled in the last ten years. It's not something that people really talk about so you would probably never guess who, out of your friends, is on antidepressants but I can tell you that there are more of them than you would guess.

It's nothing to be ashamed of because it's honestly not something you can control. Like diabetes or cancer, depression is a medical condition. Yet, when someone hears that you are suffering from depression, the reaction is pretty standard, "Oh, um, ok..." and that's about it. You can feel their awkwardness and you just know they aren't sure if they should start tiptoeing around you, tell you a joke or tell you to get over your pity party and get on with life. I know because I used to be one of those people, until I got hit with depression.

Naturally I wanted to know everything about it so that I could figure out how to beat it without medication, because that's how I roll;) So, let's have a look at this thing called depression.

No-one is 100% sure what actually causes depression but there seem to be certain biological, psychological and environmental factors involved which can trigger it. Biologically, one of the most widely thought theories is that depression is caused by an imbalance of naturally occurring substances called neurotransmitters in the brain and spinal cord, namely, serotonin and norepinephrine.

Psychologically, people are affected by events differently and each person’s thoughts will determine how he or she will experience life, which can affect whether or not they become depressed. Our childhood has a huge role to play in how we think about things and how we view the world. For example, a strict upbringing where a child is surrounded by negative comments and criticism, can lead to a child growing up to view the world in a negative way. It follows on from that that, later in life, when that person has to deal with difficult situations, they are going to have a harder time than most. They will automatically be predisposed to emotional suffering.

Environmentally, depression can often be triggered by very stressful life situations such as:

  • The death of a loved one, a move, a divorce, financial difficulties or job loss
  • Social isolation
  • Periods of relationship conflict, whether marital or family-related
  • Demanding work or a stressful workplace
  • Health issues, especially when the person has a chronic health problem
I think that MOST people would find these situations difficult and hard to move past, even if they didn't suffer from depression, but ironically, for those who do suffer from depression, the biggest hurdle to getting better and moving forward from the situation is the depression itself. For example, it's common for a depressed person to purposefully remove themselves from the company of close friends and loved ones who could encourage and comfort them, and go into hibernation and stop going out and doing things they would usually enjoy doing as result of being depressed. Unfortunately, all this does is make their condition worse.

The thing is, most people don't even realise that they are depressed. For myself, I can say that I had no idea even though it was plain as the nose on my face! I'm pretty sure my cause was environmental although I am psychologically predisposed to it as well. I am a pretty over-sensitive soul. Most songwriter's are. They call it artistic temperament;) We artists seem to feel things incredibly deeply. I've been that way since I was a child. Being a gay child in a religious family meant a lot of guilt and pain and probably laid some serious groundwork for where I ended up.

I went through a period in my life where several of my longterm, close friendships came to an abrupt and painful end. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever experienced and I felt devastated and unbelievably sad, but I didn't even consider that it might hit me hard enough to mess with the chemical balance in my brain! I simply got on with life. I buried myself in my college work and pushed through, burying the emotions, but it got harder and harder to do it. No matter how much I achieved, and how happy I was supposed to be in my life, it didn't trigger any feelings of true happiness. I just felt dead inside, completely empty and numb. I didn't even feel enough to feel sadness. I just felt like a hollow shell. I was exhausted, I couldn't get myself out of bed. Living just felt like hard work. I continued to wear a smile but it never reached further than my teeth.

When GLM suggested I speak to someone, I agreed because I knew I wasn't doing us any good. I knew I wasn't handling things well on my own. I didn't expect to be told that I was suffering from depression! But I said that, under NO circumstances, would I be taking antidepressants. There had to be a natural option. That's where my research started in earnest. In a strange way, it was my saving grace because it gave me some direction and something to pull me out of bed and to my desk.

Firstly, I discovered a natural supplement called 5-HTP which I started myself on. The body actually makes 5-HTP naturally from tryptophan and, then, converts it into serotonin which improves your mood. Because it’s a naturally occurring compound in the body, 5-HTP is safe for short-term use but it's not recommended for longer than 12 weeks.

I knew that diet HAD to play a role in helping me out though so that was my main focus. I'd been slowly cleaning up my diet for a few months already so I just got a lot more strict with myself. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, if you've read any of my blog that nutrition directly impacts brain performance just as it does the functioning of every other organ in your body. When we talk about a diet that supports mental health, we’re essentially looking at nutrition that sustains both optimal neurological functioning and hormone balance.

Depression is actually an inflammatory condition, though it's not commonly talked about as such. Current research shows that inflammation is a cause for both depression itself and the neurodegenerative symptoms seen in people with depression. Research has further found that people with clinical depression show elevated levels of inflammation biomarkers. Added to that, risk factors for depression include conditions linked to inflammatory response such as low omega-3 levels, leaky gut, and late pregnancy/postpartum rise in cytokines.

Not surprisingly, there’s a strong link between depression and insulin resistance. Although researchers are still probing the chicken versus the egg concept on this, they know that many depressed individuals are addicted to carbs. Carbs, of course, raise the level of serotonin, one of the mood-related neurotransmitters. But it's always short-lived and those carbs then contribute to the overall problem when the effect of the carbs wears off. The carb crash sends your mental energy and hormone levels on a hectic, crash and burn, roller coaster ride. Constantly eating carbs only promotes more inflammation, which exacerbates the depression.

A diet that supports mental health should do four main things:
  • Limit inflammation inducers
  • Include anti-inflammatory substances
  • Prioritize antioxidants to counter oxidative stress
  • Contain the essential building blocks for neurotransmitter synthesis
Here's what I did:

  • I removed ALL processed foods from my life.
  • I cut out grains completely and limited my carbohydrates to fruits and veggies. What this does is help keep your hormones balanced and prevent inflammation. 
  • I completely cleaned up my diet to minimise environmental toxins which stimulate the body’s inflammatory response. 
  • I got rid of all conventional beauty products and household cleaning products to remove those toxins from my life as well.
  • I began to take a healthy dose of omega-3s daily to help fight any existing inflammation. (Experts have known for years now that fish oil is an effective therapy for depression.) 
  • I modified my morning smoothies to include every possible range of fruits and vegetables to get as much omega 3, vitamins and minerals into my diet as possible. The more variety, the more advantage you have. Minerals like selenium, chromium and magnesium have a very good impact on brain function and mood. 
  • I already eat a lot of protein in my diet but I made sure it was always clean and free range. Animal protein is full of amino acids which are extremely beneficial for brain function and mood.
  • I started taking a good quality multivitamin to cover all my bases even though my diet was pretty good by this stage.
  • I made certain foods a standard part of my diet: 
I am  happy to say that, a few months later, I am a new woman:) All of this stuff really made such a difference. I stopped taking the 5-HTP and relied totally on my diet and I feel like my old self again. I have on and off days, but that's more to do with what's happened in my day. It's not an ongoing thing. I've learnt to forgive myself for feeling this way. It doesn't help if you keep telling yourself you're just being stupid. It's very real. Please don't ever blame yourself and please, the next time you meet a person suffering from depression, don't brush them off as a self-pitying party-pooper! They can't help how they feel and you aren't going to help by telling them a joke! Try a little understanding and maybe send them to my blog;)

HAPPY eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment